Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Kwan Im Vegetarian Restaurant

This old shop is located just beside the famous Kwan Im temple at Waterloo street. I almost forgotten about its pioneer status in serving traditional Vegetarian Dim Sum until someone dana its pastries at the recent retreat.

Although not one with sweet tooth, I was attracted by its Lao Po Bing (Wife biscuits), its sweetness is just nice "Tian Er Bu Ni" that leaves a lovely sensation in your mouth. Personally, I feel that it tasted even better than the famous brand from Hong Kong.
I don't know why I had not visited the shop for years, always passing by, forgetting about its water chestnut cake which I used to love. It has a take-away counter at its shop's front to sell these traditional pastries as well as a mini Dim Sum section that included authentic water chestnut cakes, carrot cakes, vegetarian char siew buns & pastries, etc. and if you are early and lucky, you may still see the traditional vegetarian beancurb skin roll (Su Ji). Oh dear, thinking of them makes me crave for them already. :P
They are located at 190, Waterloo Street, Singapore 187965
Tel: 6338 2394

3 comments:

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

Same here, I pass by often but always go over to Fortune Centre. Lately, go there to take away some Dim Sum (some of them are delicious) although I prefer Lingzhi Dim Sum.

Maybe, it was a feeling that it serves traditional Veg food, therefore, lose some attractiveness, but there is some beauty in Tradtional Veg Food too - just need to REDISCOVER traditional veg food maybe by adding a new twist or something like that ...

There are some special tradtional veg food which is yummy and healthy too - like the those stuff originated in the Temple Kitchen using many layer of beancurd skin with simple seasoning to make into "mock pig leg" ...

Cheers :)

Sunny said...

I think the many layers of beancurb skin was sold at the counter too but I know it as "Su Ji" (Vegetarian chicken). Love it too. :-)

Daniel said...

Thanks for the write-up! Gonna bring my parents there....someday....